The Student Milestone Fund is to help students build all or part of a solution to at least part of the problem they are solving. The intent of the Student Milestone Fund is to move an idea, initiative, or venture forward to a significant step forward.
Grants can be up to $2,000 with the Student Milestone Fund. Students may use up to $1,000 of their Student Milestone Fund application for anything related to daily business operations. Examples of operational expenses include website costs, task management software, or in certain instances, raw materials for product or service creation.
For some applications, an interview may be requested by the Tsai CITY team for clarifications or any other questions that may pop up during the review process.
Please note: Your team must include at least one full-time Yale student who is enrolled in a degree-granting program at the university. Funding is only available when the fall and spring semesters are in session.
Funding can be used to pay for materials, software, or to pay individuals to complete services that are not a core function of an idea, initiative, or venture (ex. Legal and accounting fees). Funding cannot be used to pay individuals for their time as a stipend, wage, to conduct research, or to pay for living expenses.
To receive funding from the Student Milestone Fund, students must meet the following criteria:
- Have a feasible line-by-line budget that does not include items already included in perks available to students at Yale
- A small sample of results or proof that the student’s idea/initiative/venture can solve a real-world problem
- A plan for how funding will move the idea/initiative/venture forward
- Examples may include:
- Raw materials to create a new product or service
- Software packages to form a new product or service
- Travel or conference expenses to find new customers
- Ad spend with a clear plan and potential ads that will be used
- Examples may not include:
- Only using the budget for ad spend with no clear plan
- Only purchasing raw materials to increase profit margin
- Paying individuals to build a prototype
- Examples may include:
Decisions for the Student Milestone Fund are made on a weekly basis and are decided only by the information within the application. An interview may be requested if the Tsai CITY team has questions about your application. A member of the Tsai CITY team will reach out via email once a decision is made. Students may apply multiple times to the Student Milestone Fund.
If approved, students receive:
- Up to $2,000 in funding; up to $1,000 for operations
- Access to others who have received Student Milestone Funds with a channel in Circle
- Ability to submit a project to the project development team
If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to Matt Gira at firstname.lastname@example.org